Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Snooted!

Okay, so Tim has drug me into reading Strobist stuff. Now I'm hooked -- especially on the DIY stuff (since I'd already blown a fair wad on my portable studio box, and a few other things). I've just ordered the cheap eBay remote (and hopefully they'll finally answer my e-mail so I can get the second receiver, for my old rubber-banded SB-28, which will certainly still get some use), and I made a stop at the Evil Empire (Wal-Mart) since that was the only place in town that I knew I could find the ball bungees. And, I bit the bullet and bought an umbrella bracket and a 45" umbrella, knowing that I'll need those things if I'm going to ever shoot more weddings. But, most of the other accessories will certainly be of the DIY variety.

In reading Strobist, though, I wanted to play around with snooting. I had a little different, simple idea, ball-bungeeing a regular old piece of printer paper. It's not a true snoot, though, because the paper allows for some diffusion. I chased my poor dog around first, and she didn't really like that. So, I grabbed my other favorite subject -- who LOVES posing for the camera -- my 5-year-old son, and chased him around with the 'snoot'. Here are some of the results.










And, finally, my favorite. I've probably over-saturated the colors, but considering I was hiding in the bathroom waiting for him to run down the hall, and I aimed the 'snoot' just perfectly (holding it down about waist level), and fired right as he saw me:



Maybe I'll post that one as my first contribution to the hugely massive Strobist Flickr group...

Oh, one more shot. I played around with a new self-portrait. Unfortunately it's rather small since I shot it with my new Tokina 17mm lens (as I did all of the pictures in this post) and blown up a little bit. But it's sorta cool with my face completely blown out on the right by the diffused light through the paper, yet with the other side of my snooted face and reflected in the massive 77mm polarizer that I had on the front of the lens. I'll have to grab my 50mm or my 100mm and see if I can recreate the shot:

If you'd like to use images in this blog post, please e-mail paul(at)paulmphotography.com

2 Comments:

Blogger timdesuyo said...

Nice. I like the "over saturated" picture. It pops like a Tide commercial. The self portrait is pretty awesome too.

I just got my ebay remotes, but I haven't gone to town with them yet. I discovered that the hot-shoe on the reciever is metal, so you have to be careful with the Nikon flashes. They have those funny pins, and you can short 'em out. I ended up getting a "safe" hot-shoe adapter, because the SB-600 doesn't have a direct plug, but for the 28 at least, you should be able to use a cable.

Thanks for the link!

9:54 AM  
Blogger PositivePaul said...

Well, I got the radios with the TRS jack (and pc plug on back), and I know I'm going to have to mod 'em to make sure they don't break. I'm just glad I decided to keep my rubber-banded SB-28 -- it'll work well enough on an umbrella stand with a ball-bungeed remote.

So I got up the cojones and posted the over-saturated shot to the Strobist Flickr group. No comments so far, but we'll see...

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home