Saturday, March 10, 2007

Playing with Lighting...

Last week, I picked up an Interfit Attache Portable Photobox, to play with lighting smaller objects, with a little motivation to see if I can prep some items for selling on eBay. I didn't get the version with lights, figuring I could play with the flash(es) that I have, and maybe get some more full-blown studio lights at some point. The problem is, I've had very little training on studio lighting techniques, so I'm just playing around at this point. In doing so, I'm learning a lot, and having some fun. Here are several shots I've taken of things around the house.



I was in a hurry to get this shot of Erin Glenn Velvet Ass Rose -- I'd only remembered that I wanted to test-shoot with this bottle that we were about to open for dinner. Didn't quite turn out like I'd hoped. That's what I get for being in a hurry and not knowing what I'm doing in the first place...



Enos Slaughter autographed baseball. From my Enos Slaughter baseball collection. Threw it into sepia to give it that vintage look...



My favorite lens. Nikon 100mm f/2.8 Series E. I still can't believe I paid $55 for this lens. Just a fantastic lens for a lot of what I do. I especially like it for macro work attached to the PK-13 extension tube. Small, light, sharp, bright. Just a fantastic lens.



My 70-210 F/4 Series E zoom lens. It was the first Nikon lens I bought, but it's about to go on the market, since I have two newer lenses (one being my faster Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 constant) that I use more frequently. It's a very good lens for certain things, and I've taken a lot of excellent shots with it. I just need the room in my camera bag for my latest lens purchase that hopefully will arrive next week.

If you'd like to use images in this blog post, please e-mail paul(at)paulmphotography.com

4 Comments:

Blogger timdesuyo said...

Strobist Strobist Strobist! Also, chek out these two posts for DIYs I got from there. Also, you will like these pics that I took in the homemade diffuser box.

:) I think I prolly just addicted you to a new blog.

9:43 AM  
Blogger timdesuyo said...

*check*

9:43 AM  
Blogger PositivePaul said...

Definitely, Tim. I've done a little bit of reading over there. That was sort of my motivation. I took my old rubber-banded SB-28 and attached it to an old flash bracket that I used with my old TLR medium-format camera. It has a PC-cord hot shoe adapter, and I plugged the PC cable into my SB-28DX and then threw my LightSphere onto the older SB-28 (connected in A mode to the PC-hot shoe adapter). It was fun experimenting with that combo, but I'm looking at throwing together a two-flash split.

Working on getting an SC-17, and I might pursue making a PC cable, per the pre-Pocket Wizard suggestions. I'd bought the box before really reading Strobist, though, so darn it, that's another extra $35 or so that I could've saved ;-)

Didn't I comment on the pictures you made with your homemade diffuser? I meant to, if I didnt...

11:21 AM  
Blogger timdesuyo said...

Just delete this if it's a duplicate. There were some log-in issues. I didn't look at the comments on my posts before posting on your blog, so, sorry about that.

The Strobist certainly has a way of motivating people. I always want to go out and try new things.

Instead of the PC cord option, check out the "ebay remotes." If you search on the Strobist you can find links to hot-rod them. They seem to work reliably. My neighbor's using them, and mine are in the mail for about 50 bucks.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home