Monday, September 17, 2007

First Impressions: 400mm F/3.5 EDIF

I happened to luck into my first supertelephoto over the weekend. These lenses don't become available very often, let alone at the price I paid for it. Fortunately I had just enough in my lens fund, and was able to purchase this awesome lens. I can't wait to shoot a baseball game with it, although, I really have to get used to not having a zoom and using a monopod. This lens is heavy!

I've never shot with a supertelephoto, so I'm trying to get the technique down. It's a different world, that's for sure. I need to practice practice practice...





So, I took a break from using my son as a model. I decided to chase our poor dog around the back yard this time. With the compression that a telephoto gives you, I probably could've used a smaller aperture, to get the nose and other features more in focus.



I was blown away by the crispness of the numbers in this picture, when zoomed in at 100%. I don't think the full 4.1 MP image will display when you click on the picture, but you get a good enough idea.

This lens will change my photography. Heck, at this point, that should be my goal in acquiring gear. It's not about the gear you have, really, but about how you use it. It's too bad the Rainiers' season is over, otherwise I'd head to Cheney and shoot away. Need to practice a bit more before I head to Safeco...

Labels: , , , ,

If you'd like to use images in this blog post, please e-mail paul(at)paulmphotography.com

2 Comments:

Blogger timdesuyo said...

I am so green with envy....

6:56 AM  
Blogger PositivePaul said...

Yeah, it just kinda fell in my lap. Made a nice connection, too, with a local PJ, and I can't wait to have coffee with him and hear his stories.

But, man, shooting w/a supertelephoto requires major skill. It's no wonder these things cost thousands of dollars brand new.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home