Thursday, September 13, 2007

Rescued from the scrap heap...

Ever since I got my first film scanner shortly after Christmas, I still wanted to be able to scan medium-format negatives. But I didn't want to spend a ton, and even considered just sending my film away to be scanned by a scanning service. That actually would've been expensive too -- even moreso, and probably still rather time-consuming. Last night, however, I consummated yet another Craigslist deal, finding an older Epson scanner in a random ad that turned out to be able to scan medium- and large-format negatives. After asking about the model number, (the Epson 2450) I decided to risk the $10. It didn't have any software or the film holders, but it supposedly worked and had the transparency adapter for scanning film. And, it is USB and FireWire compatible

I'll definitely get my $10 worth.

I'm scanning some old negatives from the 1920s right now, that we found in my Grandma's attic. But my first scan was of a color negative I shot probably 15 years ago, with a now 50-year-old camera:



I love the vignetting -- I'm not sure what caused it in this picture. In looking closely at the scan, I probably shot it wide open. The depth-of-field isn't very deep, leading me to believe I shot this handheld and not on a tripod, due to shutter speed or something.

Now if I can only find the box of slides I shot with this camera...

Labels: , , , , , ,

If you'd like to use images in this blog post, please e-mail paul(at)paulmphotography.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home