Friday, March 03, 2006

Heh. CCD Dust...

Well, it didn't take me long to discover one of the pains of dSLR technology -- dust on the CCD sensor. I saw a bunch of spots on most of my images from the get-go, but I attributed it to dirty UV filters and cheap lens syndrome. But, after reading about the CCD dust problem on several web sites, including the "Cleaning your Sensor" article on byThom's web site I recognized that it wasn't the lens or filter's fault -- but I had a dirty CCD. So, I've ordered some brushes, and will clean the CCD the first chance I get. Unfortunately, though, I'll have to do it with the bulb setting (YIKES!), as I don't have the $75-100 that Nikon's proprietary AC adapter goes for on eBay. That kinda frightens me, but I'm willing to risk it.

There was some interesting lighting today while walking to my car to head home from work. Throw in some migrating birds, and it made for an interesting picture. Of course, I spent some time with the smudge tool in Photoshop LE (old version) to clean off the CCD dust. Still, I was able to try out my 'new' lens a bit, and although the foreground trees are out of focus, I'm quite surprised at how sharp the birds are. I converted the picture to black & white, because the color wasn't very interesting. Click for a larger version.



About this 'new' lens I got...

The 28-70 AF Prorokinon lens that came with my 8008s is OK, and served me thusly, but I wanted the cleaner optics that Nikon gives you. Obviously my budget is very much tapped out, except that I am going to start a lens fund. My first payment into this fund, though, went towards a Nikkor AF 28-80 3.5-5.6 G lens that was attached to an "As-Is" Nikon N75. I was at my local Pawn shop last week, kinda browsing for a Nikon/Nikkor lens, and I came across the N75 package. To make a long story short, I was happy to pay $45 for the package, and as an extra bonus, I even got a Nikon strap! And, even better, after troubleshooting a few things, I was actually able to get the n75 to work!

No, it's not the 17-55 2.8 that I'm currently coveting. But, for $45, it's definitely an upgrade to my Prorokinon. Oh, and by the way, I shot the most recent dripping faucet picture through that lens. I'm by no means an expert, but I can tell a difference in overall sharpness, and that's what counts!

If you'd like to use images in this blog post, please e-mail paul(at)paulmphotography.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home