Saturday, October 14, 2006

Wedding Photographer in Training

Well, that went really well today. I learned a lot, and got to spend some great time with Dave. It was a tough location to shoot a wedding -- practically no natural light in the sanctuary; lights that threw an interesting color cast on every picture in there. I won't even mention the worst thing that happened to me (too embarrassed to mention it, and simultaneously shell-shocked by the fact that no one got seriously hurt).

I got to borrow Dave's 70-200 f/2.8 VR. Big mistake. My faith tells me it's wrong to covet my neighbor's possessions, so I won't spend hours here discussing my lens envy. All I can say is -- wow. That's by far the most incredible piece of camera gear I've ever used in my lifetime. The image below is nowhere near perfect, but (so far) it's my favorite image yet. The fact that I shot it at 1/20th of a second, hand-held, at 200mm and got that amount of sharpness just blows me completely away:



Wow. Just. Wow.

But, then again. Maybe it's the F/2.8 that I'm attracted to. Certainly the VR helps, but here's a shot with my 100 F/2.8 Series E lens that didn't exactly cost what the 70-200 would:

If you'd like to use images in this blog post, please e-mail paul(at)paulmphotography.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home